Thursday, June 19, 2008

Get Smart and Love Guru: Double Contenders

Well, it looks like Get Smart and Love Guru are involved in more things things then one. As we all know, they are contenders for the #1 spot in the box office this week, with Get Smart being the predicted winner. However, they're already apparently predicted contenders in another competition: the Razzies. The IMDB studio briefing had this to say:

"Mike Myers's The Love Guru , which is being released on Friday, is receiving so many blistering early reviews that Los Angeles Times writer Tom O'Neil, who tracks films up for major awards in his column "Gold Derby," is predicting that the film may be a shoo-in for the Razzie for worst film of the year. For example, Moira Macdonald in the Seattle Times calls it "preadolescent humor with a few sitars thrown in." But Kirk Honeycutt in the Hollywood Reporter observes that Guru will have competition for the worst-film title from Get Smart, which also opens on Friday. Honeycutt concludes: "Quite possibly Love Guru will out-awful Get Smart.""

I have to say, I was a little surprised that these movies were already being thrown up for possible Razzies. I went over to Rotten Tomatoes, and I have to say that Get Smart seems to be in the clear... but Love Guru is understandably a a fair choice for a razzie. It already only has an 10% approval rating. I have to say that actually worries me. It's possible that it's just on a slow start, given how it hasn't hit its wide release yet. Or, it's just a crappy movie. I'm not too sure. Personally, I'm still going to watch both despite the reviews. I'm still going to be rooting for Get Smart though. I hope Love Guru isn't THAT bad. Well, time will tell this weekend. Hopefully I'll at least be entertained.

No comments: